AACS is on Facebook. Click HERE to see the latest news, photos from recent meetings, and connect to other AACS members!
Please follow our Twitter page to access the latest announcements and to connect to AACS HERE!
Applied U Videos
The AACS Applied U channel is meant to provide learning and professional development opportunities for those looking to apply sociology. We host conversations with applied and clinical sociologists who are working across a range of areas and industries. This is part of the Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology’s effort to create a greater awareness for how sociology can be used to effect positive change in individuals, communities, organizations, and society. Click on the links below to access the latest Applied U Videos
- December 27, 2019: Applying Conversation Analysis with Elizabeth Stokoe. This Applied U video explores how Elizabeth Stokoe applies conversational analysis to a broader audience; personal, public, and professional.
- November 11, 2019: Applied Sociology and Sex Crimes with Doctor Jim Tanner. How does a phenomenologist and qualitative researcher help law enforcement track down child predators? Listen to how Dr. Jim Tanner uses his theoretical and methodological training to train law enforcement, conduct forensic analysis of computers, and help prosecutor sexual predators.
- September 30, 2019: Interview with Tony Buono on Industrial/Organizational Sociology. Dr. Tony Buono has been doing applied sociological work for decades. From his foundational work in mergers and acquisitions, to his recent work on global ethics, Tony walks us through his accidental career. Included in this conversation is his work with Everett C. Hughes and how a sociologist exists in a business school!
- August 5, 2019: Creativity and Community Collaboration with Dr. Michael McNamara. Listen to how Professor Michael McNamara used creativity exercises and design thinking approaches to work with stakeholders within a community setting in order to craft new approaches in funding.
- May 20, 2019: Using Sociology for Customer Insights and Experiences with Ashley Lumpkin. This webinar will review some real life examples of how sociological theories and methods are used to achieve success in the business world. All people interesting in working in customer insights and experience can benefit from a sociological perspective. Furthermore, sociologists can learn how the skills and knowledge they possess can be applied to help businesses and customers alike.
- May 3, 2019: Diversity and Organizational Advantage with Dr. Jeff Toussaint and Takeyra Collins, M.Ed. CTRS. The importance of an inclusive work environment cannot be underestimated. Given the increasing diversity of the US, promoting a work environment that values diversity is vitally important to successful organizations. This webinar focuses on diversity and inclusion in the workplace. It provide a way to promote a more inclusive environment where the diversity becomes the strategic advantage for organizational success.
- March 5, 2019: Social Entrepreneurship with Dr. Jonathan White. Social entrepreneurship is a relatively new movement, lying at the direct intersection of business and civic life. This webinar, provided by Professor Jonathan White, will: show the philosophies behind social enterprise; discuss the current landscape of social enterprise models and leaders; demonstrate best practice strategies; instruct how to move to the next level of social enterprises; and develop pieces of business plans toward operationalizing a social enterprise idea.
- March 3, 2019: Conversational UX with Dr. Roberty Moore and Dr. Raphael Arar. The Natural Conversation Framework, developed at IBM Research by Robert Moore and Raphael Arar, provides concepts, principles and interaction patterns adapted from the Conversation Analysis literature for designers. Its pattern language in particular offers 100 generic conversational UX patterns fashioned after patterns of how humans naturally talk.
- February 2, 2019: Grantmanship for Qualitative and Mixed Methods Proposal with Karen Albright PH.D. This webinar explores grants writing.
- December 14, 2018: Sociology and Experience Design. Find out how a sociological perspective can be applied to the area of experience design. See how looking at the experience ecosystem can help align design and experience channels so they work together.
- November 16, 2018: Crafting Your Sociological Brand with Dr. Gary David